Friday, February 27, 2015

Flower Slippers!

A friend has a birthday coming up, and she always has cold feet, so I thought a nice pair of felted slippers would go over well. French Press Knits Slippers are adorable. I had enough wool to make them, so I we are off to the races. Once knit up and felted, however, I really didn't like the tab for the front. I suspect it was because the slippers was so small. (friend has size 6 feet, thus smallest size knitted) Therefore, I did what any good knitter would do and improvised. I no longer had any blue yarn, having used it up on the sole and the now defunct tabs. Dark grey looked good, though, so I made 2 flowers for the front. I REALLY was flying by the seat of my pants and completely ad-libbed a pattern for the flower. I cast on 30 stitches, knit one row, knit front and back on the net row, knit 2 more rows and bound off. Then I wound the fabric up into a flower shape and sewed it on the front. I am rather pleased with the result.

French press slippers feltedFrench press slippers felted

Tuesday, February 03, 2015

A Hat For Me!

At my casual job, names are drawn for a Secret Santa gift swap.  I knit my giftee a Rikke hat and a matching cowl. I did not get a picture of it, mores the pity, but I liked the hat so much, I wanted one for myself. Stash diving ensued and 2 balls of Jo Sharpe Georgette were excavated from the mountain of yarn.

Rikke hat

Rikke Hat

While knitting, I was unsure if I liked the colour. A common problem when I knit something in the pink/lilac tones. Now that it is done, I am quite pleased. It is a little longer than I expected, but I like the droopy effect, so it's all good!

Pattern: Rikke Hat
Yarn: Jo Sharpe Alpaca Silk Georgette

Friday, January 16, 2015

Done With THAT Chapter of My Life

In the fall of 2013 the boss at my job told me I was 'really late' the day before. She wasn't in, she was going by what a co-worker said. She then said I was late that day too. I looked at my watch and I was EXACTLY on time. However my watch and the dept clock were out by about 5 minutes. So 'really late ' is 5 minutes, I guess. Anyway, I started leaving home earlier, but needed something to do in the car to fill in the time between arrival and going in to work. I started a Baktus. Then I got made redundant last September. The Baktus languished.

I finished it. Here it is in all it's glory:


Sock yarn, VVS Handpainted, 2.5mm needles.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Second Chemo Cap

I made another chemo cap!

  seafoam hat podt

It's Todd's No Purl Hat except I cast it on in the round so I did purl for the brim :)
Yarn is Lyra by Lang Yarns which is a worsted cotton/silk blend. Delicious!

Monday, September 01, 2014

Hello! Is anybody Out There?

My poor neglected blog. I have something for you! A hat. The Purl Knit Turban, to be precise. Made with Paton's Canadiana, obviously. For a person who is undergoing chemo and needs a head warmer. Instead of wrapping the yarn tail around the front the way the pattern calls for, I knit a 5 stitch stockinette strip that was about 4 inches long and sewed it on. I attached it just above the last purl section and then wrapped to the inside to the same spot.

Knit and purl turban Knit and purl turban Please forgive the model's dirty nose,, she has seen better days, but is oh so compliant at holding still for my photography attempts. Unlike the cats.

Thursday, August 01, 2013

First Laceweight Project

I have Laceweight yarn. I also have quite a few projects I'd like to do, but first a simple one, a one row lace scarf. With this yarn 

Monday, July 08, 2013

Air Plants!

I have been fascinated lately with Air Plants. Also known as Tilandsia epiphytes. They don't need dirt to live. They just need to be dunked in water once a week or so, depending on how humid your  area is.

My birthday was coming up, so I had the perfect excuse to get some.
I ordered them from Tropical Expressions. Since I am just starting out, I got the 11 pack of random plants. I ordered them on a Thursday and they arrived on the Tuesday. (Monday was a stat, so they might even have been here faster!).

Here they are soaking after their arduous journey: airplant

And drying out, I attempted to figure out which plant they were and labelled em, correctly, I hope!

airplants 002airplants 003

and all together:

airplants 001
I forgot to get a labelled pic of the Bulbosa....

Here is one of the little displays I have put together:

airplant butzi sake
Another display:

display sandwine

And the display I am most excited about (excuse the crap lighting...raining, AGAIN, here)

mounted ok

I glued together some of the wine corks I have been saving and put it up on a little stand. I am really pleased with this one.